Dr. Garg
Dr. Garg, Other
Experience:  Neurologist. Expertise in MS, Dementia, Parkinson's Disease, Stroke, Peripheral Nerve Disorders
73350803

I would like to know why human eyes would have to use prisms

I would like to know why human eyes would have to use prisms to not see double. I have trifocals and now 4 prisms in my right eye to make my eyes see the same thing. Why don't my eyes like to play together? I have astigmatisum also and eyeball shaped more like a football. The prisms have done the trick.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Garg replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Garg :

Hello

Dr. Garg :

Aside from the astigmatisum has the eye doctor diagnosed you with any other ocular medical problems?

Dr. Garg :

The eye ball is like a camera, the image needs to be focused clearly on the retina (in the back of the eye) in order for you to see properly. If the lens of the camera is not focusing correctly, corrective measures such as prisms and bi-trifocal lens

Dr. Garg :

can help align the image (along with your lens) so that it can properly focus on the back of the eye.

Dr. Garg :

Please let me know if you have any specific question that I can answer

Dr. Garg :

If not, feedback is appreciated! PM with questions!

Customer:

I am also nearsighted and farsighted and have had one bout with optic neuritis. This is also not my first time with Silent Migraine, first time was when eyes were open and I saw a circle with bright lights spinning around in my field of view. My Neurologist is who told me I had a Silent Migraine.

Dr. Garg :

The prisms have nothing to do with your migraine

Dr. Garg :

also known as migraine variante

Dr. Garg :

If the eyes are not working together, the image can be shifted on each eye. Prism lenses can help in getting the eyes to work together. The use of prism in the lenses tricks the brain into thinking the eyes are working together by shifting the image only slightly up, down, left, or right.

Customer:

I've been in a vicious circle of silent migraines since last October. But during this same time I've experienced double vision that continued up until the Neuro-Ophthamologist put plastic prisms in my eyeglasses for distance viewing.

Dr. Garg :

Do you have a misalignment of your eyes?

Dr. Garg :

when looking left or right?

Dr. Garg :

do you see double?

Customer:

Why do eyes sometimes require prisms to see well together? What might cause this to happen? I was seeing double, I had eye jerks, squint in right eye, right eye twitch. Eyes jerk more looking to right.

Customer:

Let's not forget dizziness, nausea in form of burp; the burp I understand is from the silent migraine.

Dr. Garg :

Eyes move in a coordinated fashion because the nerve fibers are all connected

Dr. Garg :

so when you want to look L both eyes look left in a coordinated fashion so that the brain does not confuse the image

Dr. Garg :

sometimes with patients with optic neuritis

Dr. Garg :

that coordination system becomes subtle injured

Dr. Garg :

which is why you're needing prism

Dr. Garg :

Does this help?

Customer:

I'm just trying to figure out why this hit me now. Could it be from a fall on my butt but not hitting my head last October that did it? Or is my MS making me more suseptable to things that I had already just not bad enough to notice?

Dr. Garg :

If I had to play odds

Dr. Garg :

its your MS

Dr. Garg :

getting worse

Dr. Garg :

we see patients with MS getting prisms frequently

Customer:

I held on to shovel handle when I fell and didn't try to catch myself. I fell on metal bench on my way down, so landed harder on left cheek.

Customer:

My brain didn't tell me to let go of handle and try to catch myself.

Dr. Garg :

No I think it did, its just the nerve fibers are becoming progressive shot out

Dr. Garg :

because of the MS

Dr. Garg :

its like a computer hard drive that works, but the none of the wires are connected to the mouse, keyboard, or screen

Dr. Garg :

MS does that

Customer:

How do I adjust to that? Do you think vision will keep getting worse?

Dr. Garg :

there's not much you can do except continue treatment for your ms

Dr. Garg :

it may get worse, i can't give you prognosis

Customer:

My son was born with strabismus, couldn't even keep eyes straight for even 5 seconds. It doesn't run in the family. Could this be from me since now I'm having somewhat similar issue with my eyes?

Dr. Garg :

thats a bit of stretch

Customer:

I know you can't give prognosis; I'm just trying to understand what's going on with me and change my game plan. I'm realistic when it comes to my MS; I would rather know what's going on than be depressed or anxious because I don't. I'm a fighter and that's how I face everything in life. I learn to adjust or change what I need to. Just to let you know, I still work full-time and my job gives me joy and satisfaction, my family and dog do that for me at home. I'm enjoying life the best way I can.

Customer:

I know the strabismus was a long shot; I just have never figured out why he ended up with it.

Dr. Garg :

You're doing a great job! MS typically will get worse

Dr. Garg :

as people age

Dr. Garg :

and then plateau

Dr. Garg :

I think your eyes may get worse depending on how bad your MS is

Customer:

It doesn't help that I was diagnosed at 50, had 13 bands and off the charts on indexes for MS. I'm glad doctors are finally figuring out those CFS numbers are markers and mean something. I kept asking and the reply I got it's just a test to see if you have MS the numbers don't mean anything.

Dr. Garg :

in Chicago we have doctors that only see MS patients like you

Dr. Garg :

they've very very skilled

Dr. Garg :

and are on top of the game when it comes to new drugs

Dr. Garg :

try to see an MS specialist in your area

Customer:

I have a great MS Specialist who really is on top of things. Right now I'm on Gilenya; tried Copaxone for three months, then Tysabri for a little over a year. In March I may switch to the new one that's about to be FDA approved; Gilenya still seems to be working. I was having MS relapses every 6 months.

Dr. Garg :

Gilenya is a great drug

Dr. Garg :

its very expensive! but a great drug

Dr. Garg :

you're in good hands

Dr. Garg :

most doctors don't know about Gilenya so thats great that you're being rx aggresively

Dr. Garg :

do you have any other question?

Customer:

I was diagnosed in June 2010; I experienced a transverse mialitis in April 2010. I just wanted to let you know.

Dr. Garg :

makes sense - fits with the overall MS picture

Customer:

So, basically my MS is having fun with me again?

Dr. Garg :

unfortunately

Customer:

Thanks for spending your precious time with me. You've helped me understand a little better. Now my Neurologist will be sending me to Migraine specialist to see about how to get out of my Silent Migraine cycle I can't seem to get out of. At least now I don't see double.

Dr. Garg :

best of luck and PM with questions

Dr. Garg :

as always feedback is appreciated

Dr. Garg :

we're only compensated for excellent feedback

Customer:

You're an excellent doctor! Thanks again! Goodbye from Oregon

Dr. Garg :

stay warm!

Dr. Garg :

dont' forget the + rating!

Dr. Garg, Other
Experience: Neurologist. Expertise in MS, Dementia, Parkinson's Disease, Stroke, Peripheral Nerve Disorders