Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

sharp pain down lower left abdomen shooting down left leg.

Customer Question

Sharp pain down lower left abdomen shooting down left leg. Can't sit. Relieved when standing only or lying flat on back. I'm a truckdriver and have been suffering from this for nearly 3 months now. I have been to the ER. Sonogram ruled out blood clot. No evidence of hernia.

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.

Is this shooting down the back of the leg, down into the calf and foot?

Did you discuss this with your regular doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It begins in the lower left abdomen, goes down the inner thigh to the back of the knee, to the calf and sometimes to the foot. The most severe pain is in the inner thigh and the knee circumference. Told regular doctor and ER doctor.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks for the additional information.

Based on the way the pain radiates down your leg to the foot, the issue is probably due to nerve irritation.

I would guess that the nerve irritation could be from your lower back, as issues with the S1 nerve (which is the origin of the sciatic nerve) can cause such types of pain, that radiate into the calf and foot.

I would rediscuss this with your regular doctor, and see if they think it is "sciatica", and if a MRI of the lumbar spine could be helpful in your diagnosis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. I will tell my regular doctor. You think sciatica with the pain generating from the front and extending predominantly down the inner thigh and to the inner knee then goes to the back. Interesting to me. Anything else I can offer my regular doctor?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
Well, sciatica typically travels down the back of the thigh, not the inner thigh. However, the nerves that travel into the inner thigh do not typically cause pain further down past the knee.I would just try and describe the location of the pain as accurately as you can to your doctor, and have them test for sensation and strength in the leg, as well as the reflexes, to see if there is a potential that this is nerve irritation. Then a MRI of the lumbar spine can be ordered.