Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have had a problem with my si joint in left hip and leg for

I have had a problem with my si joint in left hip and leg for about a year. MRI shows degenerated discs in L4 & 5. Is the sciatic pain I am having caused by this degeneration?

It is tough to know without being able to see your MRI images.

A degenerative disc at the L5-S1 level can cause sciatic type pain -- IF it is bulging and compressing the nerve at that level.

Many people have degenerative discs, but no nerve compression, and thus do not have any sciatica.

Other people can get nerve irritation due to other issues, such as bone spurs from arthritis, or overgrowth of ligaments in that area of the nerve.

I would have a spine surgeon review your MRI of the lumbar spine. A test called an EMG can help to determine if the potential cause of your symptoms is due to nerve irritation in the lower back as well, and this test would be done by a neurologist.