Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I had a laminectomy L4 L5 done november 13 and i am still having

I had a laminectomy L4 L5 done november 13 and i am still having leg pain and back pain. What is the total recovery time for this type of surgery?

If you are having current symptoms of leg and back pain after the surgery at this point, I would want to discuss with your surgeon if further imaging studies should be ordered.

Ideally, we would want to see improvements (especially in your leg pains) over the first few weeks after surgery. Generally, I will see some significant improvement in the leg pains of my patients after spinal stenosis surgery at the six week checkup.

Estimating how long it takes for lower back pain to improve is a much more difficult issue.

Of course, every patient is different in terms of their healing and issues causing pain, but certainly, discussing the non-improvement with your surgeon and perhaps getting another MRI of the lumbar spine may be warranted.