Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I Have a problem with both of my foot are numb and hurt a lot

I Have a problem with both of my foot are numb and hurt a lot when I walk on them, some time it stop me from sleeping... it been about 5 yrs I broke my right foot, and slowly my foot started to get numb slowly after that, I also feel down on ice and hit my head about 7 yrs ago and the side of my head stay numb for at less 2 to 3 yrs. last I used to drink for yrs. my liver is effected but test are stable for the last years and I quite drinking for one yrs since I found out, I have ask doctor here for for help a few time about me feet but now the waiting time is very long they don't see it as very important what are the possible problem and what test I need???
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

Well, certainly there are many reasons for numbness in the feet.

Your history of excessive alcohol use could be contributing to numbness, as alcohol is often related to "neuropathy", where the nerves can be damaged over time, and cause the numbness (or burning or other altered sensations in the legs).

Some times, it can be with an actual issue in the feet. Or a "pinched" nerve as it travels toward the feet (such as tarsal tunnel). Or it can be an issue with blood circulation to the feet (peripheral arterial disease). Or it can be with an issue with the nerves in your lower back (lumbar stenosis).

So there are may issues, and having your doctors evaluate you to see which one of these is most likely is helpful. If they feel a nerve issue is responsible, getting a nerve conduction test and EMG can help to determine if neuropathy is a potential cause.
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IS THEIR TREATMENT FOR A PINCH NERVE OR DAMAGE NERVE FROM ALCOHOL OR BLOOD CIRCULATION MY FEET AND LOWER LEG DO ENLARGE WHEN MY FEET ARE DOWN ALSO I WAS OVER WEIGHT i LOST 80 LBS THE LAST 2 YRS FROM RIGHT DIET AND EXERCISE