Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Over the last two days I have had a couple of brief flashes

Over the last two days I have had a couple of brief flashes of a hot sensation (like pouring hot water) down my right lower leg, below the jnee. I did have knee replacement surgery six months ago, but have never had any sort of symptoms like this beofre. I did my exercizes, wore stockings, etc.
Is the sensation over the outside (lateral) and front (anterior) portion of the leg, e.g. the shin?

Do you have any issues in the upper thigh with these sensations, or weakness in the foot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is lateral and anterior. I have had no such sensations in the upper thigh, nor any foot weakness. Thanks.

OK.Thanks for the additional information.It appears that there is some irritation of the peroneal nerve, as the cause for your unusual sensations.This is a nerve that runs on the outside of the knee area, and can often be an issue with people that have had trauma to the outside of the knee (such as a football tackle to the knee), or people that have had surgery in that area (which is your case).Other reasons for irritation of this nerve can be compression of the nerve (such as sitting cross legged for long periods), or issues with herniated discs in the lower back.Nevertheless, should these symptoms persist, having your doctor examine you and arrange for further testing would be helpful, though in most cases, temporary irritation of the nerve that causes such symptoms does tend to improve with time, ususally a few days to weeks.