Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

Greetings, I had a steroid epidural injection into my neck

Greetings,
I had a steroid epidural injection into my neck four weeks ago. I had the injection in New York and am now working in South Africa. I began experiencing severe headaches, increased neck pain about two weeks ago. The neck pain and headaches have increased. I now have dizzy spells. I am out of the U.S. until December. I am not sure what I should do. I have Tramadol prescribed by the same doctor that did the injection. Should I be taking it on a regular basis.

Thank you for your time.
Best Danny
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
First of all, if you had an injection at one of these places:

BUTANI, SUNIL H., PHYSICIAN PC(NNN) NNN-NNNNMINEOLA NY
OBOSA MEDICAL SERVICES(NNN) NNN-NNNNMOUNT VERNON NY
ROCHESTER BRAIN AND SPINE(NNN) NNN-NNNNROCHESTER NY

Then you have to be aware that you may have received the tainted steroids which have been making the news in the US, causing potential fungal infections.

So, if that is the case, you would need to seek medical attention for your symptoms.

If not, then this may just be a flareup of the pain, and that the steroids' effect may have "worn" off by now, and if you find that tramadol helps with the pain, then you can continue to take it. Medications such as Aleve or Advil also tend to help. But to answer your question, tramadol can be taken on a regular basis for this type of pain.

But certainly, worsening pains with dizzy spells is impossible to evaluate over the Internet, so having a doctor in Soth Africa evaluate you would be best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I didn't know about the tainted steroids. My injection was not at any of these.

When I am in severe pain (like today). What is the recommend daily dose. my doc gave me 60 pills @ 50 mg each.

Also could you please tell me the side effete of tramadol.

thank you so much.

Danny

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
The limit is 400mg (or 8 pills) a day.The recommended dosing is 50mg every six hours, as needed for pain. People can choose to take a bit more or less depending on the level of pain control they get from this medication.Common side effects can include:constipationnauseaheartburnweaknessitchingdizzinessheadachetirednessflushing/rednessbut there are many of these listed, so it is hard to say what, if anything, will affect you.
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery