Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I am 73 yrs old female. Recently my head has begun to shake

I am 73 yrs old female. Recently my head has begun to shake usually when I am relaxing is when I notice it. My MD has said it is not Parkinson's and has put me on propranolol 10 mg once a day. I recall my grandmother having this problem at a much younger age. Also, several years past I began to experience sudden jerking of my head infrequently mostly when I am showering. Should I see a neurologist?

Many people experience "tremor", and it is often seen to run in families as well.

Not all of the tremor is associated with Parkinson's disease, so I would guess that your doctor did not see any other features of Parkinson's.

Another common reason is essential tremor:

For which the propranolol can help.

Of course, having a neurologist evaluate you to get a second opinion would not hurt.