Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909
Neurology

i clench my fists very tightly when sleeping and wake up in

the middle of the night... Show More
the middle of the night with fist clenched and pain. My hands hurt during the day too and the toes on my left foot are now starting to clench as well during the day.
Category: Neurology
replied 4 years ago.

Hello. You need to see your doctor if not done previously to be screened for an electrolyte imbalance. You could be hypocalcemic, from a variety different conditions, and you are having Carpopedal spasm. I will attach a webpage on the reasons behind hypocalcemia. this is a very serious and can be life threatening condition, so please review this information and contact your doctor. There are other illnesses, like tetany (rare) that can mimic this condition, as well as the parathyroid diseases that can give this as a secondary effect. I hope this answers your question Dr Frank T

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/241893-clinical

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Can this condition also cause pins and needle feeling in my scalp?

Should i contact my general MD or a specialist? If a specialist, should I go to a neurologist, internal medicine or ?

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 4 years ago.
You can start out with the internal medicine doctor. Yes, if you look at the presentation page of hypocalcemia on that webpage I sent you, you can have "neuropathic" symptoms that would be numbness and/or tingling on your scalp. The hypoparathyroid conditions (there are several) need to be screened for with blood work, as well as the calcium and other electrolytes. You have classic carpopedal spasm by history, but I cannot be sure of anything here on line. The one comment I wanted to make to you is that some of these issues can be serious if not treated, so please ask your doctor. Dr Frank t
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answers. I cannot rate the service until I understand the quality of your answer. Have had a blood test and will be seeing my doctor on October 25.

Best,

Linda

Hello. This is an information service, I cannot diagnose you online, I can only give you information based on what you put into your statement. I hope I was able to give you some direction to get a diagnosis. please come back if you need additional information, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank T