Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I am suffering with chronic Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in both

Customer Question

I am suffering with chronic Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists. Most of my fingers are now numb to the point its affecting my ability to work (Construction/Driver). Surgery is not an option for me. What might you prescribe otherwise to ease the pain and will I ever regain the feelings in my hands?

Thank you
Neive
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

Unfortunately, the best therapy in severe cases of carpal tunnel syndrome is surgical decompression of the nerve.

This can be done with small incisions and a scope, so that the incisions are small and at the wrist, instead of the whole palm area, allowing people to get back to work sooner. This is "endoscopic" carpal tunnel release, and done by some hand surgeons.

The best non-surgical treatment would be wrist splinting, to help prevent the wrist positions which can put excess pressure on the nerve, and so getting wrist braces which are specific for carpal tunnel would be helpful.

Unfortunately, no medication is going to change the essential problem here, which is actual compression of the nerve at the wrist.

Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been wearing wrist Braces for the past year. The problem worsened over time. I have read extensively on Carpel Tunnel surgery. Too many cases reported very little ease. Will Corticosteroids help? What about Acupuncture?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Acupuncture probably will not help, since again, the nerve itself will remain compressed, and acupuncture does nothing to correct the underlying problem.

An injection of steroids could be of benefit to help with the symptoms of pain, but again, it also does not change the underlying issue with pressure on the nerve. But it is an option for those that try to avoid surgery.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Seems as though I may truly need to consider your recommendation of surgery. Can you advise a ball park figure for the cost of doing the "endoscopic" surgery on both hands?

Neive

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Neive

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

This type of surgery varies widely, from the low thousands to several thousand dollars, with some specialized centers costing in the 10-20,000 range per hand. This depnds on the type of anesthetic, surgery location, need for anesthesia, and surgeon's fees.

The reason I can't give a ball-park figure is because the cost is going to vary greatly, especially if you are going to pay out-of-pocket.

To get accurate numbers, you would have to call each office and ask their practice manager about the costs for that practice.