Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

Frontal Lobe Injury

I recently discovered that I share a lot of traits associated with frontal lobe head injuries. I had a head injury when I was 2 (two) years old. I still have a scar in the middle of my forehead. I am now 31. I was wondering, before I go dropping $1000 on an MRI if an injury that old would show up on an MRI (as scar tissue or otherwise)?

I'm not sure that would be a wise decision to spend that much on a MRI.

I would find it highly unlikely that a MRI would show anything conclusive from a head injury at 2 years old, and it is unclear whether or not you would have even had an injury hard enough to cause damage to the brain at that time.

Even if a small "scar" was seen, it would not make any difference in the treatment of you medically, so many people would tell you to save your money and use it for your health in another manner.