Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I am a 55 yo male and I exercise regularly (weight training).

I am a 55 yo male and I exercise regularly (weight training). I don't remember when it started but a pain developed on the skull behind the right ear. It is a dull pain but it seems to bother me all the time now and it also seems to radiate down the right side of my neck to my shoulder. I feel this while I sleep and I do not sleep well due to it. I am presently taking advil for pain but that does not always seem to help.

Do you feel the pain is worse if you tilt your head to the right? And better if you tilt the head to the left?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sometimes.., yes.

Well, this sounds as if it is muscular type pain that you are feeling, and perhaps coming from an area in the neck.

When the facet joints in the cervical spine become irritated due to degenerative changes (arthritis), they can cause pain that appears to be a dull pain that involves the neck muscles on that side, which sounds a bit like what you are describing. Other times, a nerve in the "upper" cervical spine can become irritated causing pains, but that is often more of a sharp pain which is felt in the same areas.

Nevertheless, your doctor can evaluate you and see if further imaging can help in the diagnosis, which often starts with a cervical xray, then a MRI for pain which lasts for more than 6-8 weeks.