Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have severe pain on my right side begining in the low back

I have severe pain on my right side begining in the low back and into the R buttock and it runs down my R leg until my foot begins to tingle, occasionally. A pain specialist diagnosed it as Frachetes Disease (excuse the spelling) and tried to numb the nerve first with shots and then with another procedure with electric current (I think) Needless to say nothing has worked and I am in constant pain. Do you recognize Frachetes Disease and is there really a way to treat it? Thank you for your consideration. Maureen Nichols. [email protected]

Have you had a MRI of the lumbar spine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, the pain specialist did some x-rays to make sure there wasn't a slipped disc then an EMG? ithink that's what it was called. He used a probe like wire attached to electric current. then he ran it up and down both of my legs. that's the only other procedure prior to the nerve numbing procedure.

I would want to discuss with your doctor about getting a lumbar spine MRI, as this would help to diagnose one common reason for pain radiating down the leg -- a herniated disc "pinching" a nerve in the lower back.

Your symptoms sound like lumbar radiculopathy:

and the MRI is a much better test than a xray to evaluate this.

I'm not sure what they are referring to as "Frachetes" disease.