Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

My right arm has dull ache and fingers are tingling. Been happening

My right arm has dull ache and fingers are tingling. Been happening off & on for about a week. Some neck stiffness extending down right shoulder. Been worse last 24 to 48 hours. Right arm is cooler than left side. Female 49 yrs. old

Can you tell if there is a difference in which fingers are tingling? For example, is the pinky finger affected? Is it the thumb? Middle finger?

Does the neck feel better if it is tilted away from the side of the pain (e.g. toward the left shoulder)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Seems like middle, ring and pinky. unsure on neck question, I usually massage it when occurs.

Thanks for that information.

My best guess, given your symptoms, is that you have a "pinched" nerve in your neck, called cervical radiculopathy:

This can feel like pain is radiating from the neck, down the arm, and into particular fingers in your hand. The fact that the middle and ring fingers are affected probably means that the C7 nerve in your neck is the culprit. This can come from issues with a disc herniation at C6-7, for example.

Of course, further evaluation would help should your symptoms continue, and so seeing your doctor and having a cervical spine MRI would be helpful, should the pains continue for more than several weeks. In many cases, this type of pain will improve with time, and medications such as Advil or Aleve.