Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I was hit on the left side of my head, above the ear, with

I was hit on the left side of my head, above the ear, with a softball several years ago. I was diagnosed with a mild concussion. For the past two days I have had recurring severe, sharp pain in that area. The pain will go away and then peak several times per hour. It is sensitive to touch the area as well. I have had lesser symptoms like this over the past few years but not to this degree. What do you recommend?
Hello.

From what you describe, pain that is tender to the touch, in a specific area of the scalp would seem to be related to nerve irritation in the scalp itself as the cause of the pain.

It probably is just coincidence that this is the same place a softball hit you years ago, since we wouldn't expect that issue to suddenly cause symptoms now.

In general, this type of pain does improve with time, though it often takes a few days for nerve irritation to improve. Taking the medication like the ibuprofen helps, since it also acts as an antiinflammatory medication. Aleve may also work. Ice can help, but you may want to try heat to see if that helps with the pain as well - and use whichever helps you more.

Trying to stay comfortable while this resolves on its own is what you can do at home. People with persistent pains can sometimes get injections into the area to help with the pain, done by your doctor. Pain in the head that is severe and all over, or spreads around the head would not be related to a nerve in the scalp (which would remain in the same area), and those types of severe headaches would need to be evaluated by a doctor.