Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I just started using Levetiracetan about 6 weeks ago. We have

I just started using Levetiracetan about 6 weeks ago. We have sloowely increased the dossage and I began to gain weight rapidly (30 lbs). My dossage is 1 1/2 tablets twice a day, 500mg. I quite taking it on Monday, my legs are so swollen, ankles and hand as well. Also my urine is very clear ( not normal for me). I have MS as well and doing very well. Diagnosed in 1972. I am active and happy. My Dad broke his femar at the socket, so I am helping him when all this happened and I haven't heard back from my neurologist. Is this renal failure and what can I do to help get better? Drink more water? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Hello.

If your urine is not clear, and you are having swelling in the feet and the hands -- then I would be concerned that your kidney function is not optimal, causing you to retain fluid (and hence cause swelling in the extremities).

I'm not sure that this would be directly related to the levetiracem.

Swelling is not generally a side effect of this medication, so I would have your doctor do some simple tests first, such as bloodwork, to look at your kidney function. They would also want to look at other things, such as heart function as well.

Certainly, if this is thought to be related to the medications, stopping the medication and switching to another is a possibility. But I would start with your primary care doctor.