Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I woke up this morning really bad pain behind my right calf

I woke up this morning really bad pain behind my right calf muscle. Upon standing up the pain became worse but then subsided after I stretched a bit but when I tilt my right foot up, I still feel the burning pain behind the calf. Hurts to walk since walking involves tipping the foot up a bit. What might be the problem?

Well, it could be a number of things.

If there is actual swelling in the lower leg, there is the possibility of a blood clot causing symptoms.

If you have recently been strenuously exercising, there is the possibility of the calf muscle itself being strained, or the tendons being inflammed.

Pain down the back of the calf itself could also be a symptom of nerve related issues, such as "sciatica", though the pain often also involves the buttock and the back of the thigh when this occurs.

So there are a few possibilities, and seeing your doctor for an exam can help to narrow this down.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What type of doctor should I see for this type of pain?

I would start with your primary care doctor.

Then depending on the exam, they can order the appropriate testing, which may be an ultrasound of the lower leg, or an xray, or a MRI of the lumbar spine, or referral to the appropriate specialist, which may be a orthopedic surgeon.