Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

As soon as I started prozac I developed a restless leg syndrome

As soon as I started prozac I developed a restless leg syndrome . After 4 days on 5 mg and then 4 days on 10 mg stopped prozac because couldn't sleep at all due to RLS .Today is a 4th day without prozac but RLS is still the same and still can't sleep . Will RLS stop and when?

The medication in Prozac tends to linger in your body, because of it's long "half-life", which means that your body metabolizes the medication slowly.

So, it may be a couple of weeks before your body metabolizes 95+% of the medication, and so if your new symptoms of RLS are related to a side effect of the medication, it may be another few days until these symptoms dissipate.

Of course, it is difficult to know if the medication is directly related to your symptoms, though if the symptoms started only with the medication, then it seems likely.