Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Is is safe to take xanax and lyrica together. Tingling and

Is is safe to take xanax and lyrica together. Tingling and numbness is so bad that I had to take xanax to calm it down. It is about time to take lyrica. Should I? Also, my pharmacist friend suggested that my pain could derive from thoracic outlet syndrome. For legs too - maybe it is my sleeping habits + posture that are compressing my nerves. Does that even remotely make sense?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Dr Sathya :

Hi

Dr Sathya :

I am very glad to help you with your question again.

Dr Sathya :

I am going through these additional details now, I will reply here very soon.

Dr Sathya :

Yes, you may take xanax and lyrica together for sure.

Dr Sathya :

There are no major or serious drug interactions if you take them together.

Dr Sathya :

The combination may make you more drowsy, because both are sedation causing meds, but other than that there should not be any serious or major concerns.

Dr Sathya :

I hope you are not encountering any technical problems in accessing this chat. Please take your time.

Dr Sathya :

Regarding your other question; re; TOS (thoracic outlet syndrome) & the sleeping habits & posture;

Dr Sathya :

I guess you experience symptoms like dizziness too, in addition to tingling feeling, TOS is not expected to cause dizziness.

Dr Sathya :

And the tingling/pain feeling of TOS is confined only to the upper limbs, but if you experience tingling feeling in the face & lower limbs too then this cannot be from TOS.

Dr Sathya :

TOS typically presents in the upper limbs, symptoms are mostly confined to the inner aspects of the upper limbs, and neck & shoulder movements may trigger or worsen the tingling. If your tingling is confined only to the upper limbs and also mostly to the inner aspects of the upper limbs then this could be TOS, but not otherwise.

Dr Sathya :

And I guess you might had an EMG/Nerve conduction test too before, if you had this test then TOS should have been picked up on that test.

Dr Sathya :

If this test was not done on the upper limbs, and if you have symptoms typical for TOS - as pointed above - then you may talk to your clinic neuro for an EMG test, otherwise this test is not needed (if symptoms are not typical for TOS and if EMG was already done on the upper limbs).

Dr Sathya :

Sleeping habits and posture may cause nerve compression, but this will happen only if you sleep for prolonged period on the same side, or assume same posture for long time, not otherwise.

Dr Sathya :

Regarding posture you may talk to a physical therapist/occupational therapist too, they can examine your posture and make recommendations if any are necessary.

Customer: I woke up last night so much in pain bacause my left arm totally went numb.
Dr Sathya :

Okay I see.

Customer: i had chest pain and my rm kept have spasms and numbness pain
Dr Sathya :

is this a new symptom?

Dr Sathya :

have you had similar symptoms ever before?

Customer: i never had awaken by these types of symptoms before
Dr Sathya :

is the neck bothering a lot?

Customer: it was scary
Dr Sathya :

yes I can understand

Dr Sathya :

is the neck bothering too?

Customer: i have echo stress test this monday
Customer: stiffness and pain in left shoulder but not neck
Dr Sathya :

yes with these symptoms you need heart related tests too

Dr Sathya :

obviously with chest pain - heart tests are necessary

Customer: i did ekg again last week but nothing
Dr Sathya :

a shoulder MRI will help too

Customer: my cadiologist then approved echo
Customer: i see
Dr Sathya :

if ekg looks okay serious possibilities like heart attack etc unlikely.

Dr Sathya :

but echo/stress tests are nevertheless needed

Customer: but what really dont get is the tingling in ALL extremities
Dr Sathya :

just to be on the safer side

Customer: so TOS not a possibility?
Dr Sathya :

no, TOS is unlikely (with all 4 extremities tingling)

Customer: Still leaning towards fibro?
Dr Sathya :

Yes, as we discussed before your symptoms are from some fibromyalgia (atypical), may be some anxiety/stress too

Dr Sathya :

also "fear of serious diseases"

Customer: Lyrica is not helping much
Dr Sathya :

what dose now?

Customer: fibro causes sleep disturbnces due to nmbness?
Customer: 75 x2
Dr Sathya :

yes, fibro actually can cause almost any symptom

Customer: i am afraid to increase dose due to that nightmareish episode of dizziness
Dr Sathya :

Okay I see

Dr Sathya :

obviously a concern

Dr Sathya :

so you may add xanax as necessary

Dr Sathya :

xanax will help in relaxing too

Dr Sathya :

both can be taken together

Dr Sathya :

have you tried ALA?

Customer: xanax helps a bit but so difficult to get prescription
Dr Sathya :

Alphalipoic acid?

Customer: no
Customer: is it OTC?
Dr Sathya :

okay I see, prescription is indeed a constraint

Dr Sathya :

yes

Dr Sathya :

you may start around 100 mg twice daily

Dr Sathya :

I will mention few other options too

Dr Sathya :

you may also consider CoQ10

Dr Sathya :

Acetyl L Carnitine too

Dr Sathya :

All these supplements may help with tingling feeling

Dr Sathya :

these are very safe pills too

Dr Sathya :

if no help you can always stop them

Dr Sathya :

you will not lose anything, either they help, or no, but no side effects are expected

Customer: So which one should i try first?
Dr Sathya :

I recommend ALA first

Customer: Okay
Customer: will it help with numbness as well?
Dr Sathya :

Yes, any nerve irritation symptoms like tingling, numbness, and some feel relief of the nerve pain too

Customer: Good to know that
Dr Sathya :

worth trying.

Customer: should i see a ortho or rhemato?
Dr Sathya :

you may get the heart tests first, then if necessary you may see a rheumo rather than an ortho.

Dr Sathya :

ortho more helpful if bone fractures, joint dislocations are suspected

Dr Sathya :

which we are not suspecting in you

Customer: Ok
Customer: anything else I can do to at least sleep?
Dr Sathya :

xanax should help, because the combination with lyrica may cause more sedation.

Customer: Ok
Customer: thanks doc
Customer: on my way to get ala now
Customer: I can take it now right?
Dr Sathya :

You are welcome, I once again reassure you that this doesn’t look like anything serious, and also hope the above treatments help you and you recover quickly & completely, all the best!

Dr Sathya :

Yes sure

Dr Sathya :

ALA can be started now itself

Customer: Thanks
Customer: Great
Dr Sathya :

Welcome, all the best!

Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I started taking ALA as recommended. So far, nothing. 100mg x2 a day. Should I increase it to 600mg?

Hi, sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned, and thanks for the waiting.

Sorry to see that there is no response so far, but that is actually the beginning dose and may not help so now you may gradually start optimizing the dose. First you may increase upto 200 mg twice daily, and if this dose no help in about a week or so then you may increase to around 300 mg twice daily (=600 mg/day), which is generally considered the highest dose on this med, but this being a nutritional supplement there is no well defined highest dose and even higher doses may be safe too but I do not recommend taking above 600 mg/day - just to be on the safer side.

If the ALA dose gradually increased and it does not help at around 600 mg/day then at that point you may consider starting the other options I mentioned like Acetyl L Carnitine or CoQ10 etc. either one of these two may be started. On Acetyl L Carnitine the beginning dose is usually 250 mg/day, then it can be slowly increased up to around 1000 mg/day or so. As you go higher in the dose it may be preferably taken twice daily. On CoQ10 the beginning dose is around 50 mg twice daily and gradually it can be increased up to around 1200 mg/day in divided doses.

And see that these are nutritional supplements and are used by lots people and generally considered as very safe and any serious side effects are hardly known to occur, and beneficial effect wise these may help your nerve irritation symptoms and in addition to that effect these agents may have multiple other beneficial effect since these are considered anti oxidant agents too. I am not trying to promote these agents I am only trying to emphasize that these agents are used commonly and even in combination too, so if need arises you may try later combining them too. Of course if the lower doses of ALA itself will help you then you may continue on that alone, and as per your preferences. I am just mentioning that in case higher doses are needed or a need to combine these different agents arises then that can be considered too.

Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)