Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

Hello, I have had migraines for several years now, and have

I have had migraines for several years now, and have been put on a beta blocker to help them. I have been taking the beta blocker for a little over 2 years now and I'm noticing that my eye sight is deteriorating and I've developed migraine's with an Aura. I am also experiencing dizzy spells/vertigo. When should I be concerned and make an appointment for help?

How old are you?

Are you having issues with the eyesight in one eye, or in both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am 25 years old - and I am having trouble in both eyes. I have been told that Propranolol (I take 80mg per day) is known for causing this type of problem.

Certainly, if you feel that the frequency of migraines is increasing, it would make sense to get reevalauted by a neurologist to see if they should wean you off the propanolol and try another medication to try and prevent an increased frequency of migraines.

Some of the other medications shown to help:

divalproex (Depakote)
sodium valproate
topiramate (Topamax)

It would also help to get a vision exam, to check the vision itself from eye issues. It wouldn't be typical for the medication to be associated with blurry vision, and considering you've used it for two years without a previous problem, the vision issues probably aren't related to the medication.

Vertigo may be related to an inner ear issue.

And if they haven't already, a MRI of the brain can be done as well, to rule out any intracranial issues.