Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have been diagnosed with cervical ridiculitis. My pain is

I have been diagnosed with cervical ridiculitis. My pain is a level 10 and has been for over a week now. I have had 2 epidoural steroidal injections that eased my pain to a level 5 or below for 2-3 weeks at a time. Received my 3rd injection this morning but a neurosurgeon was consulted prior to the injection and an MRI was done on Monday that shows the bone in the C-6 region is pressing on the nerve, so there is little hope for relief and surgery is recommended. I have called the neurosurgeons office and have made an appointment for the earliest date available...NOVEMBER 14th!!!!!!!! I have tried various meds and a valium/vicodin combination is the only thing that has taken the pain down but barely to a 9. Must I suffer for almost 2 months while waiting for this appointment or is there any kind of "emergency" appointments available anywhere????

Unfortunately, the availability of appointments will depend on the surgeon themselves.

You can ask if that neurosurgeon works with partners in the practice, and if they would have an earlier available appointment.

There is frequently multiple neurosurgeons in one area, and so making an appointment with another one in the area would probably be helpful.

In general, the availability of appointments will vary, from one week to a few months between surgeons, and so I would look at another surgeon to get seen more quickly. You may also want to discuss with your pain managment doctor about something stronger for pain, such as oxycodone (Percocet), as that may help better than the vicodin.