Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

My friend aged 57 has had an MRI scan revealing primary osteoarthritus

My friend aged 57 has had an MRI scan revealing primary osteoarthritus with cervical slip C3/4 and bilateral C5/6 lateral recess stenosis. Bilateral lateral stenosis at L 3/4. DWP are pushing that she does not justify Disability Living Allowance. What is your opinion on this conclusion.

Unfortunately, what you describe there is very common.

Those findings in the cervical spine and the lumbar spine frequently will not cause any symptoms, and would not be a reason for disability.

In fact, if you did a MRI of everyone at 57 years old, you would find similar findings on the MRI, as people will have osteoarthritis in the spine as they age.

Disability, however, is determined on a number of factors, and not just radiographic studies, but just based on the report here, there is nothing that would mean disability on this report.