Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I am having a burning pain starting in my right hip and continuing

I am having a burning pain starting in my right hip and continuing down my leg. I have never had this type of pain before. I had back surgery about six years ago and have three screws in my lower back. Can you give me some idea of what is going on? Thank you.

Does this pain radiate down the back of the leg, into the calf, and into the bottom of the foot?

Do you remember the levels in your back that were fused? Was it L3-L4-L5?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sometimes it goes all the way to my toes, they feel like they are going to sleep, numb. My surgery was L-3, L-4, L-5. This pain is totally different from the pain before and after surgery.

I think you should discuss this with your spine surgeon.

Pain that radiates into the back of the leg, down to the toes is suggestive of nerve irritation, and when it goes down to the foot, the nerve irritated is generally L5, or the nerve next to it, S1.

Given that you have had the surgery at L3-5, I'm going to guess that you may have an issue at the L5-S1 level causing these symptoms.

The best way to get this evaluated would be with a MRI of the lumbar spine, to see if there is any compression of the nerves in this area.