Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

Hi my daughter is 23 and she started with a weak/numb foot

Hi my daughter is 23 and she started with a weak/numb foot around 6 weeks ago; then she couldn't move her toes; the weakness kind of went away and now she has numb foot and half her leg (same numbness as onset); she can now move her toes fine, not much weakness but still numb, they did an MRI and it's fine- now they're sending her to do an EMG-

I think, with the EMG, they will be looking at the peroneal nerve specifically -- this is the nerve that runs on the outside of the knee -- and with injury or inflammation -- this can cause weakness in the foot and toes, as well as pain or numbness which involves the outside of the lower leg and shin and top fo the foot.

Another potenial reason for this would be a "pinched" nerve in the lower back - the lumbar spine - but a MRI of the lumbar spine would have ruled this possibility out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes MRI revealed nothing in her spine. Is this something serious? Everything I read is scary and says either MS or ALS, I'm so concerned.