Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My husband has lost most of his hearing in his left ear within

My husband has lost most of his hearing in his left ear within the last year. He has also
had to change his eye prescriptions three times and his coordination is worsening. He gets
dizzy if tries to get up too quickly. Yesterday he went for a hearing test and the optomotrist wants him to see an ENT. He said an aid would not help him.

Can you give us some advise please.

Cindy

Hello.

Well, an issue with the inner ear can be the cause of the problem here.

Inner ear problems could cause issues with hearing -- as well as vertigo, or the spinning sensation which could be causing his problems with the coordination.

The ENT doctor is the specialist in evaluating these issues, and so they would be the person to see. They likely will do a physical exam, and get hearing tests done (audiogram) as well as imaging of the brain (MRI of the brain) to look for potential causes of this problem.

These issues likely wouldn't have anything to do with his eyes, so an optometrist is not the person who can evaluate these issues.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, he went to an Audiologist and he is the one that recomended he see an EMT. He has 87% of his hearing in the right ear & 35% in the left. Coupled with his lack of coordination and his exstream change in

his sight makes me worry about a brain tumor.

OK.

Well,a brain tumor that affects the hearing is not likely to affect the vision (these are two separate areas of the brain).

But certainly a tumor is of a concern, and so a MRI of the brain should be ordered. The ENT doctor will likely order this MRI.