Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Hi Dr I had my left wisdom tooth removed a week ago, Since

Hi Dr I had my left wisdom tooth removed a week ago, Since then my lower left jaw, Lip and art of chin have become numb (its like they are frozen, with out any sensation at all); My dentist informs me to wait for a month or two; But I am worried it might be a permanent nerve damage; Is there any tests that I could do to find if it is permanent or temporary. As this would give me some peace of mind .

Unfortunately, this close to surgery, it is really impossible to tell.

This sensation may simply be from nerve irritation, from the injection of numbing medication, to swelling that may be pressing on the nerve, or direct injury during surgery.

This may take a few weeks to improve. Once the healing from the surgical procedure has taken place, then you will know if there was direct injury to the nerve.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know, and there are no tests that can help look at the function of the nerve to determine if this is permanent or not.