Is this disease hereditary? My father had pick's disease, and died of complications at age 67.
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 65
Hi, thanks for your question.
I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.
Pick's disease or Frontotemporal Dementia in most cases is not directly genetically inherited. In my review of the data, approximately 50-70% of cases are sporadic (not genetic). About 10% are inherited, where there may be a 50% of chance of offspring being affected. 20 to 40% are familial in general, which means, there may be a hereditary component, but the exact risk is not known.
Overall, unless there has been more than one family member affected, you should not overly worry about getting the disease as the risk is low, but if you notice any problems with memory, language, or personality, then you would benefit to see a neurologist to discuss.
Best of luck. Please let me know if there are more questions. If this discussion has been helpful, please click on ACCEPT so I can be reimbursed for the time taken to answer your question. BONUSES and positive feedback appreciated.
Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.