Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Why does the bottom of my feet sting (pins & needles) constantly?

Why does the bottom of my feet sting (pins & needles) constantly? Walking 100 yards is very painful, why?

Dr Sathya :

Hi

Dr Sathya :

This is Dr Sathya and I am very glad to help you with your question.

Dr Sathya :

How long this has been going on?

Dr Sathya :

Any history of numb feeling or decreased sensation in the feet?

Dr Sathya :

I am not sure why you gave me a bad service rating, I had asked few questions to you to learn more about your health condition however you did not answer them at all, but straightaway gave me a bad rating. You are supposed to rate me once I gave you an answer, but in this case I had not given you any answer at all and I was just trying to gather more info about your health so that I could give you appropriate advise related to the proper management of your health condition. And I will bring this issue to the JA company too so that they are aware of this incident.

Customer:

sorry I didn't know that, my apology

Dr Sathya :

No, it is okay, no need to apologize.

Customer:

at least 2 years and getting worse. No history prior to this.

Dr Sathya :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr Sathya :

okay good.

Dr Sathya :

How are your symptoms now?

Customer:

the same hurting if I walk to far

Dr Sathya :

okay got it.

Dr Sathya :

have you tried any medications (over the counter or prescription meds)?

Customer:

just Advil or Naproxen

Dr Sathya :

not helping at all?

Customer:

no doesn't take the pain away

Dr Sathya :

okay. I will discuss about other effective pain meds, but first let us try to get the diagnosis.

Dr Sathya :

Do you have any health conditions like diabetes, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies, or any other?

Customer:

not that I am aware of

Dr Sathya :

and do you have any numbness feeling or tingling feeling (pins & needle sensation) in the feet?

Customer:

yes and can barely walk on them for very long. starts after 50 yards walking on them

Dr Sathya :

okay, based on your symptoms you are having what we call as neuropathy.

Dr Sathya :

This is a condition affecting the nerves in the feet/legs

Dr Sathya :

There are myriad cause for this condition.

Dr Sathya :

You do not drink alcohol a lot, agree?

Customer:

yes, agree

Dr Sathya :

I am asking all these to find out possible cause for neuropathy.

Dr Sathya :

There are common causes and rare causes

Dr Sathya :

common causes include diabetes, prediabetes, alcohol etc

Dr Sathya :

You do not have alcohol as a cause

Dr Sathya :

but we need to look for diabetes or prediabetes if it hasn't been ruled out recently

Dr Sathya :

by blood tests

Dr Sathya :

some other causes include vitamin deficiencies, thyroid diseases etc

Dr Sathya :

the blood tests will help in ruling out these possibilities too.

Dr Sathya :

a nerve & muscle test called as EMG test will help too, it will help in confirming the diagnosis, also will provide additional details about the neuropathy condition (severity etc)

Dr Sathya :

a neurologist is the one who you need to see in a clinic who will examine you, then arrange for EMG test, also for the above blood tests

Dr Sathya :

once a final diagnosis is made then appropriate treatment will be started (for example if thyroid condition is causing the neuropathy then you need thyroid related treatments, if diabetes is identified then diabetes related treatment etc)

Dr Sathya :

For your severe pain, numbness, tingling (the neuropathy symptoms) I will mention some treatments

Dr Sathya :

These are called symptomatic treatments and they help in relieving your neuropathy symptoms, also as the pain subsides your walking will improve too.

Dr Sathya :

There are pills called as nerve-pain pills

Dr Sathya :

examples include Gabapentin, Amitriptyline, Pregabalin etc

Dr Sathya :

These are commonly used to control neuropathy symptoms.

Dr Sathya :

Supplements like ALA (Alphalipoic acid), Coq10, Glutamine, Glutathione etc can be tried too

Dr Sathya :

these supplements may help in nerve repair (nerve regeneration), although this is not a guarantee however there is some evidence to show that in some patients these supplements may help in nerve repair (nerve regeneration) and recovery from neuropathy.

Dr Sathya :

Few other symptomatic treatments to help with neuropathy symptoms include Cold laster therapy, Capsaicin skin cream, Metanx (active forms of vitamins), Neuroveen ( a homeopathic treatment), TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) etc.

Dr Sathya :

You may discuss all these above discussed points with your clinic neurologist for the further needful (clinical examination, EMG test, blood tests, and the treatments I mentioned above).

Dr Sathya :

Do you have any further questions?

Dr Sathya :

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to ask me; and if you feel you have received the information you are looking for and feel satisfied with my answer click on the smiley face to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Customer:

so can I buy these over the counter? I don't have insurance and want to know if this is something I can try first until I can get into a neurologist.

Dr Sathya :

These meds are prescription meds. The over the counter meds will not help with neuropathy pain. What you can do is to call your clinic dr's office and they generally keep some free samples.

Dr Sathya :

You could use the free samples to help with the neuropathy symptoms.

Dr Sathya :

The over the counter pain meds generally do not help for neuropathy pain.

Dr Sathya :

You already have tried some over the counter but they have not helped so far.

Customer:

can I buy the supplements over the counter? Are there any exercise that I can do to help stimulate the nerves?

Dr Sathya :

Yes the supplements are available over the counter.

Dr Sathya :

Regarding exercises....

Dr Sathya :

There are no special exercises for neuropathy condition, however regular aerobic exercises with moving the feet up, down & to the sides several times, also walking on the toes & heels generally helps.

Customer:

do you suggest one supplement over the other?

Dr Sathya :

any of them can be tried, but generally ALA is the one tried by most patients, that is why I wrote it first.

Customer:

thank you for your help, it is a step in the right direction, now to find a doctor that will help with this.

Dr Sathya :

You are welcome, I hope your symptoms resolve quickly & completely, all the best!

Customer:
Dr Sathya :

Do you have any further questions? I see your name on the screen but not any message.

Dr Sathya :

Customer: