Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a bone in my wrist that is protruding out a little and

I have a bone in my wrist that is protruding out a little and it doesn't look like it should be. I think I will get an x-ray to see if I fractured something but can a chiropractor or acupuncture help my wrist heal if a bone is not quite in place? It doesn't hurt constantly and is only concentrated in one spot.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

neuromd2012 :

hi

neuromd2012 :

are u online to discuss?

neuromd2012 :

I will paste into this a webpage on the anatomy of the carpal tunnel. My suspicion is that this is not a bone fracture, but a problem of the ligaments and you are having the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition that occurs when the soft tissues/ligaments of the wrist are out of alignment.

neuromd2012 :

It usually starts with the transverse carpal ligament on top that swells slightly and increases the pressure inside the tunnel

neuromd2012 :

the chiropracter, by massaging the ligaments, is able to get them to release, and open the distances in the tunnel, with less pain.

neuromd2012 :

I would ask you to check just where that spot is that causes pain. There is a test in neurology called the TINELs sign, you tap on the wrist with the sharp edge of the neurology percussion hammer, at a spot between the two large flexor tendons in the wrist (palmaris longus, flexor indices)

neuromd2012 :

the test to evaluate this problem is the EMG test, that puts a small electrical impulse through the nerve and measures the speed of conduction, which is slowed if the nerve is pinched at that spot.

neuromd2012 :

I hope I was able to answer your question. please rate my success as that is how I am compensated for my work. come back to ask questions if you have them. Dr Frank T.

neuromd2012 :
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow, thank you for all the information! The bone is on the inside of my wrist..it's not in the middle as you are showing in these pictures. It's the bone that's closer to my thumb because when open my hand palm up and hold something, it really hurts the side of my wrist.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

What you are describing there are the outlines of your anatomic "snuff box" and the bone you are feeling is actually a prominence off the radial bone called the radial styloid process, I believe. I will add some additional information. You might have a problem called dequervains tenosynovitis, which is an inflammation of a tendon at the base of your thumb. Dr Frank T.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1243387-overview

http://medicalmnemonics4u.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-post_11.html

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I believe you are right on about my wrist. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.
you are welcome, please come back if new questions come up ok? Dr. Frank T.
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

I am going to see a doctor in a week to confirm that I have dequervains tenosynovitis but when I read the link that you posted, it is SPOT ON. I have a few more questions now that you have helped me figure this out!

It's only occuring on my left wrist. Do you know the probability of it happening to my right? My right hand is dominant, though.. I don't know if that matters.

Also, I don't have a splint, but I was going to wear a brace until I saw a doctor to confirm what I have. Do you think that is a good idea? Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

Hi. There is a tendency for you to acquire these problems bilaterally so you have to watch for symptoms to appear. this is a type of osteoarthritis so watch your finger joints. If you do repetitive motor movements with your hands, (do you play an instrument, or work on cars,??) then you have to find better methods. The splint you need is for your thumb, it is called a spica splint. Here they are at walmart

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=thumb+spica+splint

you should get one and wear it before your doctors appt. good luck

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again. One last question.. should I wear the splint when I sleep as well?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.
Yes.. I would if it is not too uncomfortable, your arms have a tendency to swell when you lay flat for a period (8 hours?) so don't wrap it tightly, by wearing the splint, you take pressure off the sheath, and it allows the tendon to heal. hope that helps. Dr Frank T.
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician