CaliforniaMD
CaliforniaMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  board certified neurologist
20597193

I have a tingle in my left arm just below my elbow, for several

I have a tingle in my left arm just below my elbow, for several weeks now. I rub it kind of hard and it feels better for a while. It is not always there, but often.

hello,

1- is there any swelling in your elbow?

2- any redness or pain?

3- does pressing down on the area reproduce the tingling?

4- what was your occupation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No swelling. no reddness or pain. No I cannot reproduce the tingling. Rubbing relieves the tingling. I was a union rep. I now go to the gym and do power and aerobics.

does "power" involve strength training or any weights?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is strength training, lifting weights. I have been doing it for 5 years. I am careful about how much I lift. Just have done gradual increases. My shoulder was sore for a while, so I really reduced the weight for shoulder exercizes.

your symptoms are suggestive of ulnar neuropathy. it looks like it's early since the symptoms are intermittent and relived by gentle skin stimulus.

this could be related to your weight lifting but many people develop ulnar nerve problem without any particular reason other than 1. normal arm use 2. the fact that the nerve lies somewhat shallow in the elbow joint.

you should probably take it easy with biceps curls and similar exercises that require a lot of elbow flexing which stretches the nerve.

if it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks, you should see a neurologist. you should also avoid resting your elbow on hard surfaces.