Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a pain on the right side of my back.

I have a pain on my right side in my mid back.

It started a few weeks ago and its like a burning pain on/off throughout the day. It seems to be getting worse.

What could be wrong and what can I do?

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

I am an adult neurologist, and will attempt to answer your question.

Customer :

I'm a 45 year old female and for about a month or so, I started getting a pain on my mid right side of my back on/off close to my spine, but sometimes it radiates on the more of my back. It's kind of a burning pain. I'm not in pain when I first wake up, but as the day progresses the pain starts

neuromd2012 :
Does it go into your leg at all? or just in the axial or back area?
Customer :

no, not my let just mid back

neuromd2012 :

it sounds like a segmental neuralgia from the thoracic spine, never had a rash like shingles?

Customer :

No, could it be liver or gall bladder related

neuromd2012 :

Yes, it could be referred pain if it is on your right side (did you say which side?) classic liver enlargement puts pressure on the capsule of the liver and gives this pain. It should be worse though with laying back and supine

Customer :

Is there something I can do for the pain?

neuromd2012 :

You really need a diagnosis, if this is neuralgic from a pinched nerve in the thoracic spine, or post herpetic neuralgia from having had shingles there, and now you only get the pain, then you can put a lidoderm patch on it, a patch that contains lidoderm or use capsaicin creme over the counter on that site. But if it is referred pain, (a very good thought on your part) then you need to treat the liver problem

Customer :

Until I do, is there a special diet I can be on or are there foods to avoid

neuromd2012 :

If you think this is gallbladder, then you have to cut your fat in the diet and go with fiber, roughage and try to wash it out. You need to check your bilirubin if you can get a blood check bilirubin, total and direct types and your liver function tests ALT, SGOT alk phos. What do you think? Is this referred pain?

Customer :

I'm not sure I know what referred pain is?

neuromd2012 :

Ok. What are your bowel movements like? do you have white stools?

Customer :

no, they're normal

neuromd2012 :

ok, so this is a problem where a issue like liver enlargement causes pain in an entirely other part of your body, I will get you a webpage hang on

Customer :

ok, but the pain is in my back where I believe the liver/gall bladder is

neuromd2012 :

right, the gallbladder isn't in direct contact with your back, so shoulder pain from gallbladder is a type of referred pain. the liver issue is not referred pain, because the capsule in the back of the liver is in contact with the nerves that supply your back. but the liver needs to lay back on the inside of your back (when you lay back supine) to cause the pain , do you understand? (this is hard to explain by typing) here is a webpage on referred pain

Do you drink alcohol or have any reason to have hepatitis?
Customer :

I do drink alcohol

neuromd2012 :

Have you been binging, do you think your liver is enlarged? are you itching? any yellow in the sclera (whites) of your eyes?

Customer :

I do drink wine every night. I don't have any itching or yelow on the whites of my eyes

neuromd2012 :

Great, that is more unlikely then

Is the quality of pain on your back more of a burning type pain, do you have numbness there? or is this myofascial pain syndrome? I will send you that page, ok? look at it and get back to me with those answers

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.