Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I feel like I have some sort of fluid in my ear. The best way

Customer Question

I feel like I have some sort of fluid in my ear. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like someone is putting there finger right over my ear canal and then removing there finger, but it is literally continuous. I started getting this after I was in school one day, and I had an ear bud in my ear (one of the ones that go all the way in the ear). My friend started talking to me and with out thinking I ripped the ear bud out of my ear very fast. I have tried to clean any wax out of my ear with no success.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 years ago.

The ear canal is about 2 cm deep. It cannot be completely cleaned with a Q-tip. In fact, doing so can result in an ear infection as the skin is delicate and prone to scrapes and scratches and bacteria getting into these breaks in the skin.

What you are experiencing could be a small amount of fluid in your ear canal all the way up against the tympanic membrane (the eardrum). This fluid could be water, sweat, blood or pus. Similarly, there could be some moist wax up against the eardrum irritating it every time the drum moves.

Another possibility would be that your eustachian tube that normally drains the middle ear is opening and closing creating a small suction phenomenon in the ear. This is usually from allergies. You might benefit from taking benedryl or claritin or a decongestant, etc.

If this does not improve within a few days, or worsens, make an appointment to have your family doctor take a look inside your ear. Visualizing it properly requires a special instrument.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right but since this started happening the second I ripped the ear bud out of my ear, and I have not been in a pool, I do not think it is water or sweat. Also these periods where I get the feeling that
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right but since this started happening the second I ripped the ear bud out of my ear, and I have not been in a pool, I do not think it is water or sweat. Also these periods where I get the feeling that something continuously blocks and unblocks my ear canal, seems like it can be triggered by loud noises also, but none of this has happened before I did what I did with my ear bud
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 years ago.

Rapidly pulling out the earplugs may have caused fluid or wax or cellular debri within the canal to shift, possibly settling up against the eardrum. This will create a strange sensation whenever sound or circulating air hits the drum. It can also make the drum more sensitive to loud noises because the loud noises cause the drum to vibrate.

Similarly, there may have been an element of barotrauma to the eardrum from the suction you created by pulling out the plugs quickly. This could also be uncomfortable for a few days.

You can try using an over the counter ear wax remover like debrox. Using this substance for 5-7 days should clear out any wax, debri, even dried blood if present. Ask your pharmacist for help in selecting the right agent.