Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Behind my ear on bone is tender to the touch. I havent been

Behind my ear on bone is tender to the touch. I haven't been hit in the head or anything. any ideas?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

neuromd2012 :

HI

neuromd2012 :

I am an adult neurologist, and will attempt to answer your question. You are offline, so please review the following information and ask questions if you have them , or if you are asked to answer my questions, please do so and I will return to reply. If you feel you have recieved enough information and are satisfied, please hit the accept button as that is how I am compensated for my work. If you have additional questions, even after you have hit the accept, for example you now have lab results, please return and I will be glad to answer your questions. Please be aware that as a physician I cannot make a diagnosis without an examination, so this is for information purposes only and does not adhere to the role of a patient-physician relationship. Ok?

neuromd2012 :

I am waiting to see if you come online

neuromd2012 :

hello

Customer:

hello

neuromd2012 :

so what side is it?

neuromd2012 :
neuromd2012 :

if you feel behind your ear, you will feel a bump of bone, that is called the mastoid process

neuromd2012 :

is that the bone you are saying is painful to the touch, or more deeply between the neck muscles?

neuromd2012 :

can you type an answer?

neuromd2012 :

did I lose you?

neuromd2012 :
Customer:

hello

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

it's the bone

Customer:

the computer was frozen. sorry

neuromd2012 :

no problem so have you had a sinus infection?

neuromd2012 :
Customer:

on the right side

neuromd2012 :

or any nose congestion?

neuromd2012 :

a cold?

Customer:

No had some chest congestion

neuromd2012 :

viral?

neuromd2012 :

are you a smoker?

Customer:

no don't smoke. don't know about viral or not. couldn't cough anything up

neuromd2012 :

ok, well it is possible that it moved through your respiratory tract to your sinuses, then up your eustacian tube to the middle ear area, and now you have mastoiditis

Customer:

how do i get rid of it?

neuromd2012 :

do you feel a ear fullness or if you pull on your earlobe do you notice anything?

Customer:

ears seem fine no change if i pull

neuromd2012 :

so if you stick your index finger in your external ear canal and gigglie it around do you feel anything?

Customer:

no

neuromd2012 :

ok, well skip all of that, it isn't the problem

Customer:

just my finger in my ear

neuromd2012 :

second theory. there is a big muscle that inserts into the mastoid process called sterno-cleido-mastoid muscle, you use it to rotate your head

neuromd2012 :

now what side hurts?

Customer:

right side

neuromd2012 :

so what I want you to do, is put your left hand on the left side of your jaw, and then try to rotate your head left, holding your jaw from doing that with your left hand, do you get that?

neuromd2012 :

then with your right hand, feel back by that bone, and you will feel the muscle going into the mastoid process

neuromd2012 :

does the muscle hurt close to the bone?

Customer:

doesn't hurt when i try to turn it

neuromd2012 :

no it wont, but does the right mastoid hurt if you push on that big muscle?

Customer:

it's up on the hard part

Customer:

where it hurts

Customer:

behind the lobe

neuromd2012 :

so the muscle as it goes right up to the bone has a tendonous insertion, is the tendon hurt?

Customer:

could be it's tender in that area

neuromd2012 :

yes, if you were doing things with your neck, leaning over forward and pulling your head back, puts strain on that tendon and it would hurt there, did you put your head in any funny position recently?

neuromd2012 :
Customer:

it hurt this morning when i woke up.

neuromd2012 :

even working out with weights doing hand presses over your head

neuromd2012 :

was that the side down on the pillow?

Customer:

yes

neuromd2012 :

did you kink you head in bed somehow?

Customer:

could have.

neuromd2012 :

well you have SCM tendonitis, it is no big deal, take some motrin or aleve and it should go away.

Customer:

what can i do to make it go away?

Customer:

ok thanks

neuromd2012 :

motrin or aleve, take 2 aleve together every 8 hours with food

neuromd2012 :

should heal very quickly

neuromd2012 :

put a cold compress on it

Customer:

ok i will try it

neuromd2012 :

if you feel I answered your question please hit the accept as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks XXXXX

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.