Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

how can I tell if I have blocked arteries?

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

neuromd2012 :

hi

neuromd2012 :

waiting for you to come online

neuromd2012 :

I am an adult neurologist, and will attempt to answer your question. You are offline, so please review the following information and ask questions if you have them , or if you are asked to answer my questions, please do so and I will return to reply. If you feel you have recieved enough information and are satisfied, please hit the accept button as that is how I am compensated for my work. If you have additional questions, even after you have hit the accept, for example you now have lab results, please return and I will be glad to answer your questions. Please be aware that as a physician I cannot make a diagnosis without an examination, so this is for information purposes only and does not adhere to the role of a patient-physician relationship. Ok?

neuromd2012 :

well I had hoped to discuss this with you. I assume you are asking about the cerebral arteries, the carotid arteries that supply the anterior circulation, about 70% of the arterial circulation to the brain, and the posterior vertebral arteries that supply the posterior circulation to the brain, they come together at the circle of willis

neuromd2012 :
neuromd2012 :

hi are you there?

neuromd2012 :

type something in the chat window and hit the enter button on your keyboard

Customer:

Im doing OK

neuromd2012 :

great.

neuromd2012 :

so is your question about the cerebral circulation?

neuromd2012 :

I don't know what happened to you, but I will leave my answer, the easiest way to look at the anterior circulation is with an ultrasound probe, looking at the carotid arteries, you can measure blood flow through the arteries and see if there is an obstruction or plaque clogging the arteries.

neuromd2012 :

you can also measure arteries within the skull by using a device called a transcranial doppler, which is a high tech version of the usual ultrasound probe, it allows you to go through bone and see the arteries, measuring its flow.

neuromd2012 :

the best way though, is to use an MRI scanner and create an MRA or magnetic resonance angiogram, which allows you to look at the entire circulation, the anterior and posterior parts and all the blood vessels in the brain.

Customer:

I'm not sure what question is. I have been trying to find what is going on with me for nearly 4 years. I feel I have had some type of breakdown and we have been looking at rhumatoid, fybromyalia, menapause, stress, I have had a scan to rule out MS. I am getting a lot of heavy pulse, pain in the neck and bottom part of the skull. My symptoms are in line with clogged arteries and I wanted to check this path a bit as I remember my dad was feeling very much along the same lines as myself and he had a massive heart attack at the age of 59 and was dead before he hit the floor. Although he was a heavy heavy smoker.

neuromd2012 :

there is also the standard angiogram, which is a method of putting dye into the arteries and taking pictures

neuromd2012 :

so it sounds like you should request a magnetic resonance angiogram to look at your cerebral circulation.

Customer:

I have had an angiogram, blood test say may cholesterol is around 7 but it is mainly when i exhaurt myself in any manner (even making the bed) that I go downhill very quickly.

neuromd2012 :

well if you have had an angiogram you do not need a magnetic resonance angiogram. do you take medicine for fibromyalgia?

Customer:

I am taking salfasalzine 2 twice a day 500mg, vit D tablets, Methoblastin 20mg once a week,Folic acid,, siminet for the shakes.Cymalta 90 mg per day

neuromd2012 :

do you have a positive rheumatoid factor and/or a positive ANA for lupus?

Customer:

My rhumatologist says there are some rhumatoid factors . We have looked at Lupus and was taking another medication at the time for Lupus, but we have moved away from that line .

neuromd2012 :

so maybe you are considering a vasculitis from your rheumatoid or your lupus and that is why you need an angiogram, again an MRA would be useful to look at all the brain blood vessels

neuromd2012 :

it is difficult for me to make medication suggestions to you not having the chance to examen you, but why are you on sinemet, do you have a family history of parkinson's ? does it help your tremor?

Customer:

No symptoms of Parkinsons but I have started this shaking, mainly in the left arm and hand. Also sometimes it shudderers throughout my body. My doctor suggested we try this as it helped people with parkinson. It has settled it down but there are times when it goes crazy for 1/2 hour or so, then settles down.

Customer:

are you still there?

neuromd2012 :

hi. bad connection here. so it sounds like you could have some type of CNS vasculitis, have the doctors thought about that?

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what CNS Vasculitis is?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

CNS Vasculitis is an inflammation of the blood vessels that supply the brain. Many rheumatological diseases can be implicated in having at least a part of the disease be a CNS vasculitis, Lupus, Polyarteritis Nodosum, Wegeners Granulomatosis, Rheumatoid arthritis has a few forms, One is anti-Cardiolipin Antibody positivity which can give you a vasculitis there is Moya Moya disease, which is a sero-negative RA vasculitis, and Giant Cell Arterities or temporal arterities which is seen with polymyalgia rheumatica.

To make it even more confusing, you can have an isolated CNS Vasculitis which means you have that and not any other obvious systemic rheum disease, and that is a rheum disease.

There are a variety of symptoms that can come with these diseases, I could not write it all down here. I will leave you with a webpage on CNS Vasculitis, ok?

http://www.hopkinsvasculitis.org/types-vasculitis/central-nervous-system-vasculitis/

please hit the accept button if you feel I answered your question. thank you Dr Frank T.