Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

degenerative disc disease at L1, L2, L3, L4 L5 and S1. 5 mm

degenerative disc disease at L1, L2, L3, L4 L5 and S1. 5 mm of posterior subluxation of L2/L3. Previous surgery at L4 and L5 with posterior rods and interpedicular screws. Where do I go from here? What are my options?

Doctor-Bob :

You could get an epidural injection. This can be quite effective at relieving pain. Have you tried this option?

Doctor-Bob :

Have you tried TENS? Have you discussed with your neurologist an implantable nerve stimulator? How about an intrathecal analgesic pump? These are other options to explore when conventional treatment fails to control pain symptoms.

Customer:
Hi. I did not get your response. The response field was blank. Please try again so I may help you further with your questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this just a temporary fix, with the subluxation, should it not be corrected surgically to get permanent relief?
That's a question for your neurosurgeon. It is normal to have some increased movement of the spine above the area of fixation. 5mm could be significant if it was causing impingement of the nerve roots there. Impingement at L2-3 however would be expected to cause pain (and possibly weakness) a little higher up the leg than where your pain extends. In other words, surgery might not fix the problem at all. If they give you an epidural at the L2-3 level and it relieves your pain, this would be confirmation that this is where the problem is. If it does not relieve the pain, it may save you from an unnecessary surgery. The other measures mentioned above would also be in order to avoid surgery.