Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My back is hurting me so bad it feeling like someone is pushing

My back is hurting me so bad it feeling like someone is pushing into my spine really bad my thoractic spine to be specific.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

neuromd2012 :

Hi

neuromd2012 :

hello

neuromd2012 :

can you see my type?

Customer:

hi

neuromd2012 :

hello

neuromd2012 :

so you have back spasms?

Customer:

yes I can see you type

neuromd2012 :

how old are you?

Customer:

It's pain and it feels like someone is pushing into my spine. I am26 yrs old female

neuromd2012 :

ok so you have back spasms, do you feel it going to the front of your body?

Customer:

no

neuromd2012 :

good at what level in your back, between your shoulder blades, lower ?

Customer:

kind of and a couple of inches down.

neuromd2012 :

so do you have any palpable nodules in your muscles, we call them tender points or trigger points?

Customer:

Can you be more specific? my upper arms do hurt to but thats beside the point but right in the mid section.

neuromd2012 :

ok well I am looking for something that you probably do not have. there is this condition called fibromyalgia where you have

pain and spasm in your axial muscles, the muscles in your back it can be your neck, your thoracic area like your trapezius muscle which is what you have now or your lumbar area

neuromd2012 :

in this condition you have hard palpable knots that you can feel, well you can't because you cannot reach back there, but a doctor can feel them

neuromd2012 :

they are called tender points. women get this condition, it comes from bad sleep habits, a tendency not to turn much when in bed sleeping, is that you?

Customer:

I kind of sleep on my stomach and just wake up like that too in a weird position.

neuromd2012 :

well do you get these spasms a lot, and do you feel tired all the time?

Customer:

I get them a few times a month but I feel tired all of the time but I thought it was due to my work overload.

neuromd2012 :

well maybe it is, how much work do you do, how many hours do you sleep, what kind of work do you do?

Customer:

I do alot of work like lifting heaving microfilm jackets but I get atleast nine hours of sleep, I am mainly a receptionists and a fileclerk.

neuromd2012 :

do you have health insurance? can you go see a neurologist?

Customer:

Yes I have health insurance. So mainly it's just spasms with palpable knots?

Customer:

Any I have a neurologists already becasue of the dystonia

neuromd2012 :

coupled to pain, tiredness, and diffuse pain in limbs occasionally

neuromd2012 :

whoa, dystonia, what is that about?

Customer:

I have knee spasms well used too

neuromd2012 :

you have tardive dysonia

neuromd2012 :

familial?

Customer:

yep

neuromd2012 :

dystonia

neuromd2012 :

step back sorry forget about fibromyalgia, although there is actually an association between the two

Customer:

yeah dystonia.

neuromd2012 :

but is this a dystonia in your back? like a retrocollis or just spasm?

neuromd2012 :

maybe you need some botox?

Customer:

The dystonia is in my knee

Customer:

Just a spasm

neuromd2012 :

ok and that is it

Customer:

thats it.

neuromd2012 :

well you can ask your neurologist about fibromyalgia

neuromd2012 :

he may want to put you on something as a trial like lyrica or cymbalta

neuromd2012 :

there is something I do called trigger point injections

neuromd2012 :

if you have those tender points I was writing about

Customer:

How long does that relieve the pain?

neuromd2012 :

a couple of weeks if you are lucky, I do them monthly if people are really suffering

Customer:

What can I do in the meantime to relieve the pain becasue the neurologist is pretty booked?

neuromd2012 :

do you have any more questions I can answer?

Customer:

What can I do in the meantime to relieve the pain?

neuromd2012 :

well if you can get some tizanidine or cyclobenzaprine from your gp that would help

neuromd2012 :

you can use pain meds like hydrocodone with the meds I listed above, they are muscle relaxants

Customer:

okay, thanks. Thank you for answering my questions, it really helped.

Customer:
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.