Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience

i get a sharp shooting kinda paralyzing pain in my neck where

i get a sharp shooting kinda paralyzing pain in my neck where my spine starts it lasts for about 5 secs what can it be??
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
You're most likely having attacks of occipital neuralgia. This is a periodic uncontrolled firing of the occipital nerves that come off the upper part of the spine and supply sensation to the upper neck and back of the head. This gets worse with stress, fatigue and poor sleep, so work on these issues if you have them. Consider heat and massage to the upper neck muscles 3x per day. You might see some improvement with ibuprofen, if tolerated. If nothing works, see your doctor. There are medications that can suppress this. Injections can eliminate them if the condition becomes severe.