Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

numbness and tingling in my arms or legs.

Customer Question

I keep getting numbness and tingling in my arms or legs. Most when getting up in morning or sometimes during the day. It gives my anxiety and I get nervous when this because it's scarey feeling and takes some time to wake up the arm or leg. I am thinking a neurologist to have emg done , but what if it is negative , why is this happening ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 5 years ago.

Hi, this is Dr Sathya. Thanks for your question and I am very glad to help you.

Yes you are correct, if you are getting numbness & tingling type sensation then an EMG test may help to find out the cause for this symptom.

This test can detect conditions like peripheral neuropathy (diffuse peripheral nerve damage), entrapment focal neuropathies like CTS or Carpal Tunnel syndrome (medical nerve damage in the arm/hand), Cubital tunnel syndrome (Ulnar nerve damage in the arm/hand), and similar entrapment neuropathies in the legs too.

If the EMG test comes normal then essentially it rules out any such nerve damages.

In that scenario you need to undergo an MRI of the Cervical spine (spine in the neck area) & Lumbar spine (lower spine area) to look for any spinal conditions that can produce pinched spinal nerves, spinal cord pathologies that can cause numbness & tingling sensation in the limbs.

If not done already you also need blood tests to look for vitamin B12 deficiency, recent thyroid levels, Lyme antibody test, autoimmune connective disorder workup like ESR/CRP, ANA etc because these conditions too can present with the above symptoms you mentioned.

Even excessive stress or anxiety disorder too can cause numbness & tingling sensation in the limbs, of course this diagnosis is applicable only if you are indeed suffering from these conditions, not otherwise.

As you see there are myriad possibilities so you need a thorough clinical evaluation/examination followed by above mentioned tests (EMG, blood tests, MRI of the spine etc), hopefully the above systematic approach will help in identifying the cause for the numbness & the tingling sensation and also help us with starting the appropriate treatment.

Please ask me if there are any further questions.

Best regards,

Dr Sathya.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not hesitate to ask more questions or clarify any concerns you may have; A feedback evaluating the quality of my service will be appreciated too.

Hi, like I discussed in my previous post there are myriad possibilities to explain the numbness and the tingling symptoms you are having so this needs to be properly evaluated and investigated. Along with a thorough clinical examination you will also need certain investigations like EMG, blood tests, MRI etc (mentioned earlier) to arrive at the precise diagnosis. And an early diagnosis will help in starting early treatment and this will facilitate the best outcome. Hopefully there is nothing serious, all the best!

Best regards,

Dr Sathya.

Please do not hesitate to ask more questions or clarify any concerns you may have; and if you are satisfied with my answer then please click either the accept button or the smiley faces (as prompted by the computer) so that I will receive credit for the expertise, time and effort put in preparing the answer to your question. A feedback evaluating the quality of my service will be appreciated too.