Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have been experiencing occasional tingling up my left arm

I have been experiencing occasional tingling up my left arm from wrist to shoulder, feeling like a worm crawling under the skin over the last week. It only lasts a few seconds and goes away. If I massage my arm, it stops. I am an African American overweight (235) female with diet-controlled type 2 diabetes. I have degenerative arthritis in my cervical vertebrae and lower back ( surgically fused L-4 and L-5 with steel & titanium cage), 2 artificial knees, carpal tunnel, age 69, smoker. Is this tingling associated with my vertebral arthritis, the smoking, or my heart which heretofore has been normal?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Well-- symptoms that travel from the wrist up to the shoulder could be an issue with either the C6 or C7 level in your neck.

So, if you know that you have issues with arthritis in the lower cervical spine, then there may be an issue with the nerves in this area being irritated -- which can cause the symptoms that you describe.

It is unlikely to have any issue with the smoking.

And given your specific symptoms (no chest pain, just tingling in the arm) it sounds more likely to do with your cervical spine, but certainly, your doctor would want to know more about your heart just to be safe.