Jack Scariano Jr
Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurology 1982 30 years experince. Also expert in Pain Medicine
39544714

My daughter just had an mri scan of her brain and her neck

My daughter just had an mri scan of her brain and her neck to see if we could find out what has been causing her to have headaches and feel sick for months. The doctors assistant called me with the results and said my daughter has a white spot on her brain, it's something they see about once per decade, however, it's nothing to be worried about. She also said that my daughter is having muscle spasms in her neck that are probably causing her headaches. First of all, if a white spot is something a neurologist only sees once every ten years then shouldn't I be concerned? We were in a car accident last year and my daughter had whiplash during the same time she had been on minocycline for acne which caused her major problems. I don't know where to go from here.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Jack Scariano Jr replied 5 years ago.

MRI scans are very sensative, but not specific. We order MRI scans of the brain in patients who have headaches to check for problems such as tumors, increased pressure in brain, infections and many others. The MRI shows many other things which are non-specific. That means we do not know what the exact cause is and it does not cause the symptoms we are trying to treat.

Over 50% of the MRI scans of the Brain that I order show "white spots".Many of the known assosciations are high blood pressure, migraine headaches, head trauma, congenital differences, smoking. Multiple Sclerosis and many others. Over 50% of whites spots are from unknown causes.

None of thse white spots cause headaches. I see 2-3 MRI scans week that have these type abnormalities.

There are many causes of headaches in a young women. We treat headaches in several ways . You should see a neurologist to work all of this out.

Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Neurology 1982 30 years experince. Also expert in Pain Medicine