Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

can bone spurs (osteophytes) be removed from hip bones? If

can bone spurs (osteophytes) be removed from hip bones? If yes how is it done and how long of a hospitalization and recovery is there? And if no, then what can be done for them? As they are very painful.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.

neuromd2012 :

HI. I am a neurologist and can answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

This is obviously a orthopedic question, but I will give you my answer, although I say up front that you should discuss this with an orthopedist.

neuromd2012 :

The short answer is no. the reason is that the hip joint is tightly surrounded my muscles and ligaments and is highly vascular. the trauma induced to remove an osteophyte or two is too traumatic

neuromd2012 :

the exception is if you are a major league ball player like alex rodriquez, who had this done

neuromd2012 :

I thought you were coming on for chat, but it didn't happen

neuromd2012 :

I will paste in a url on hip osteophytes, but in a 58 year old woman with possible demineralization due to post menopause, the only repair is the prosthesis, but you need to check with an orthopedist who may suggest something based on your individual xrays.

neuromd2012 :

If you feel I answered your question., please hit the accept as that is how I am compensated for my work Dr. Frank T.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So other than hip replacement surgery is there anything that can be done? I am un able to do stairs, walking alot, standing alot, bending etc. It is very restricting and painful. My xray also said I have mild acetabular joint space barrowing bilaterally. And moderate superior acetbular osteophytes bilaterally. I need to get my life back, but dont really want hip replacement surgery on both hips.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.

The only other treatment plan is centered on physical therapy, weight reduction, bone demineralization reduction (calcium supplementation) . I am not an orthopedist as mentioned but I do not know of any other surgical procedures in your situation.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
good luck with your hip problem, there is no easy solution, strengthening and preventing bone loss go together. I wanted you also to look at this option of hip resurfacing instead of hip replacement.

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_hip-resurfacing-overview.asp

Let me know if I can help in anyway