Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have been having a dull pain in the back right side of my

I have been having a dull pain in the back right side of my neck/head. I think it is at the very bottom of my skull, but could be my neck as well. I've had it for a couple of weeks. I really only feel it when I move my head back, or move my head in a certain way. It isn't a very sharp or painful pain, just a dull pain. I was wondering what you think this could be?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 years ago.

neuromd2012 :

HI.. I'm a neurologist and can try to answer your question

neuromd2012 :

Hi well you are offline, so I will try to answer it, please review and get back to me if you have questions., or hit the accept if I answered your question

neuromd2012 :

You have cervical spasm. there are several muscles that run along the back of your neck and insert into the occipital area of your skull to provide support for your head

neuromd2012 :

the names of the muscles are the scalene muscles (there are three on each side) levator scapulae, splenius capitus, and more externally trapezius.

neuromd2012 :

you need to find a way to get rid of the spasm and the deep pain you feel when you hyperextend your neck (move your head back) and push deep will go away. ooh you are here

Customer:

Hi yes, I am here.

neuromd2012 :

can you read what I wrote and then ask questions?

Customer:

What do you recommend to make it go away?

neuromd2012 :

does that explain what you are feeling, I can't see you or examen you

Customer:

Yes I think that explains it. It really isn't a severe pain or anything. Just something I've noticed over the past few weeks on and off.

neuromd2012 :

yes, it is a "pulled muscle" in your neck, you don't have any hard lymph nodes in there that you feel, do you?

neuromd2012 :

the first thing is therapy since you are young and no doubt beautiful

Customer:

I'm not sure about that. How do you know if it is a hard lymph node?

neuromd2012 :

I would go to a therapist and ask for some heat/cold alternating, ultrasound treatment and electrical stim if they have it

neuromd2012 :

hard lymph nodes feel like pearls under the skin, small round and hard

neuromd2012 :

there is a thing called a deep cervical chain, and they get swollen when you have had a sore throat or mono, you had anything like that , fever?

neuromd2012 :

you still typing?

Customer:

No, I haven't had anything like that. I feel a "bump" sort of thing in the very back of my neck in the center, that is more on my neck not my head. I've been wondering if I could have swolen lymph nodes of some sort which is why I am asking about it. I have noticed in other areas of my body (groin, chest, under arms) some pain and sometimes small bumps and have seen online that they are locations of lymph nodes.

neuromd2012 :

the bump in the center of the back of your neck, you are not describing the spinous process of your vertebra, we are not talking bone here, it should be hard but movable

Customer:

I think its probably my vertebrae. It is hard and not movable.

neuromd2012 :

great, then the pain is just a little to the left or right, and deep, right? My guess is that this is cervical spasm,

Customer:

the pain is actually above that pretty much on my skull and to the right. Yes it feels deep.

neuromd2012 :

can you get a therapist to work on you? there are also medicaitons,, cyclobenzaprine or flexeril, 5 mg dose for starters, is what i would suggest, but you need a prescription

neuromd2012 :

so it is the insertion of the muscles into a sweeping muscle along the back of the skull called occipitalis

neuromd2012 :

the muscles I described earlier, and it is more of a tendonitis (the tendon is where the muscle inserts) then spasm but they are reallly two parts of the same thing

neuromd2012 :

the muscle is in spasm and pulls on the tendon causing pain

Customer:

Ok, that makes sense. I will go to a therapist and see what they can do. Thanks so much for your help!