Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

How successful is laser spine surgery vs traditional spinal fusion for spondylolisthesis?

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.

neuromd2012 :

Hi. I'm a neurologist and may be able to answer your question. You are currently offline, so I will try to answer your question

neuromd2012 :

Your question is very specific and too the point, we could discuss spondylolithesis, how it effects you, have you had an emg? etc. if you were here.

neuromd2012 :

So to answer your specific question, I have to tell you that there is not a formal answer available. I am a clinical neurologist, but I am also very active in research, in brain imaging.

neuromd2012 :

In research, we try to follow very strict guidelines, try to enter patients into a study, to be done prospectively, not retrospectively reviewing charts. We come up with a hypothesis and follow the scientific method, recording as much as possible so it can be reproduced, by ourselves or other institutions. I have published roughly 100 papers in peer reviewed journals, and a few chapters in textbooks, and we always try to follow a rigorous methodology to keep the science clean and fair and honest.

neuromd2012 :

Well, those days are over when you are talking about surgery for spondylolithesis. In my research and those of others, all data goes into a central computer system run by the National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Health, called Pubmed. If you want to look at anything in medicine that is scientifically based, go to google, then search pubmed, then enter the topic and you will find everything published. Well, when you do that for laser treatment for back or spondylo, you get nothing. Therre are no studies done, no one really cares except making $$. there are a million webpages about laser surgery for this condition, but honestly I wouldn't trust any of them.

neuromd2012 :

In my opinion, the value of a certain surgery is based on the competency of the surgeon, more than the specific technique. I send all my back pts. that want surgery to a single surgeon in our area, why? because he is the best in the area, and everyone knows it. You have to find that surgeon if you want surgery, then sit down and discuss his approach, what is the morbidity, how long the recuperation, etc. If you don't know what to ask him or want to discuss with me after you speak with him, let me know.

neuromd2012 :

I hope that answered your question. please hit the accept if it did. thanks Dr. Frank T.