Jack Scariano Jr
Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurology 1982 30 years experince. Also expert in Pain Medicine
39544714

How much does it cost? What can a brain scan tell you.

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Jack Scariano Jr replied 2 years ago.

There are two types of brain scans that are used. One is the CT scan. This test is very quick and show problems such as bleeding in the head, major stokes and others. In is usually not done unless the mri scan cannot be done due the inability to lay still ,obesity or other tolerance issues. The medicare approved cost is 300-400. You would need to pay 20% or$ 60-70 if you did not have secondary to pick up the difference also another $30-40 to the radiologist to read.

The Mri is the best test, but you must ly totally still for 10-15 minutes several times. It shows many thinks in the brain such as minstokes, tumor, dementia, bleeds. it is the best and most common overall test. It's medicare approve cost is 700-800 abd you would pay 120-140 as your copay. The radiologist fee would be the same.

I always tell my patients, before you have a test, how would the results of the test change any treatments

A example if a MRI of you head shows you are having ministokes and mild dementia. T The treatment would be control all other medical problems and a asperin a day. If you are already taking the asperin, how would the results of the MRI change any treatment?

DR S

Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Neurology 1982 30 years experince. Also expert in Pain Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why would I need a brain scan after having MRI

There are two types of Brain scans CT Scan (x ray-looks at bone and blood) Mri scan looks at brain only not bone or blood.

You would not need a CT scan if you have the MRI.

Dr S

Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD)