Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Ive had bruise-like areas under my rib cage right side....And

I've had 'bruise-like' areas under my rib cage right side....And the same under my right breast. There is no 'bruise-like' coloring on either.....just soreness if pressed, accompanied by quick electric shock like feelings or 'pressure feelings' when I breathe. Any suggestions?
Shirley O
Los Angeles
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
Hi. It sounds like you have intercostal neuralgia, or iritation of the intercostal nerve. This can come from a variety of sources, but rather than go thru the list, the first question should be, does it itch or burn at all, do you have a rash, is it the shingles?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'd thought of that first. Answer: no itch, burn or rash. Not shingles I'm assuming?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
Well, unfortunately that is not the case. There is a syndrome called Post Herpetic Neuralgia, and that can be seen without the rash, itching or burning, just lancinating pain. Often the rash has come and gone and the PHN stays. but I was confused about you also have pain "at the top" of your ribcage, do you mean the apex of your lung, above your collarbone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

re: top of ribcage"........well, I'm meaning it's about 6 inches below my collarbone....just where my my right boob ends.' Every once in a while, when I take a deep breath/let it out it feels pressured (the "bruise" area)

"Post Herpetic Neuralgia???" Post aka 'after'....after what? What would cause neuralgia in those areas? ( having no injury, no illness....) Please know I really appreciate this feedback! Gives me some idea...even if not precise diagnosis.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 4 years ago.
Well. First of all the two points you describe define the upper and lower limits of the liver. If you have pain there, its possible that the liver is "swollen" or enlarged. It pushes against its capsule and can cause pain when you push directly down on it. That is also noted when you take a deep breath, is usually less when you lay supine on your back, and worse when you lie on your right side. But the pain in not lancinating or knife like and it doesn't start from the back and shoot around, which is what you see in shingles, or intercostal neuralgia. That problem can be seen in vertebral compression or kyphosis, when you are hunched over when you walk and push on the nerve as it comes out of your vertebral column. You can have a rib fracture and not know it, but you would not have two specific spots for pain. Have you had an exam, had your blood checked for liver disease? Have you had any clinical signs of hepatitis, loose foul smelling stool, sometimes white stool, stomach discomfort, weakness, jaundice..... Obviously this needs some hands on examination. let me know if I can help further, or hit the accept. thanks