Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413
Neurology

I just fell backwards and hit the back of my head really hard

against the wall. No lump... Show More
against the wall. No lump yet. I feel ok but should I get it checked?S
Category: Neurology
replied 4 years ago.

Hi, this is Dr Sathya. Thanks for your question and I am very glad to help you.

Based on the details provided by you it doesn't sound like you have sustained any serious injury like bleed or any other major head injuries so you will do fine. I am assuming that you didn't pass out, especially for long time after the hit, and also it sounds like you are not having any major clinical manifestations after this incident so based on these assumptions you seem to be doing fine and it doesn't sound like you have sustained any serious head injuries.

But just as a precautionary measure you may follow the below discussed recommendations just to make sure nothing serious is going on:

You may self examine yourself in front of a mirror or get examined by a family member or friend's help, and see whether you are having any of these findings;

Unequal pupils

Drooping of eye lids

Asymmetry of movements of arms & legs

Asymmetry of facial movements (during smiling in front of a mirror) etc

Also keep an eye on whether you are experiencing or will experience any of these following symptoms;

Any double vision, severe blurring of vision, severe dizziness etc

Severe & worsening of headache

Getting confused or disoriented

Any speech difficulties

Any balance issues

Vomiting

Seizures

Losing bowel or bladder control

Or any other new symptom without any explanation etc

If no examination findings as above, and also no other symptoms that are described above then you are doing fine.

If you observe or experience any of the above then it requires immediate visit to the ER and further clinical/neurological evaluation including a head CT etc.

But it looks like most likely you have not sustained any serious head injuries including a bleed etc and you will do fully fine, but just keep an eye for the above manifestations for the next few days or so. Also tonight if possible try to wake up once every 3 to 4 hours or so and make sure everything is okay as per the above guidelines.

Please ask me if there are any further questions.

Thanks for the waiting!

All the best!

Best regards,

Dr Sathya.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any additional questions, concerns or clarifications then please let me know.

Sathyashankar Subbanna, MD

Neurology 1998 batch, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA

A total of more than 22 years of clinical experience (Graduated from the medical school in 1989)