RealisticMD
RealisticMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Expert have true of experience in hospital and out patient medicine including Neurology.
65148656

I have permanent nerve damage in my right bicep. For years, it never bothered me. Howeve

I have permanent nerve damage in my right bicep. For years, it never bothered me. However, in the pas 3-4 weeks the pain is chronic. I have no insurance. I went to an Urgent Care facility and was prescribed anti-inflamitory and muscle relaxation drugs. It did not help at all. What to do?

RealisticMD :

where exactly is the pain

Customer:

In the morning, when I wake up, there is no pain. By the time I get up, turn around to make my bed my right bicep starts hurting on the back side. As the day goes on, it travels up the back of my right arm to just above my shoulder blade and eventually ends up in my neck, just below my hair line.

RealisticMD :

This seem to be more related to should area pain. Did you do any recent strenuous activity? how was the nerve damage to bicep diagnosed

RealisticMD :

Does the pain get worse with coughing, or lifting heavy objects.

RealisticMD :

your answer will help me to assit you better.

Customer:

im here, hold on

RealisticMD :

Otherwise it feel like some kind of sprain related with spine and / or nerve irritation in neck. In addition to the antiinflamatory and muscle relaxants I will suggest to wear cervical soft collar.

Customer:

I have been working on an addition to our house and it involved a good bit of overhead work (hanging the sheetrock for the ceiling, tile up the wall of the bathroom). When I damaged my right bicep, it was a side affect of medicine I was taking for a bad cold (codien). I was asleep for over 9 hours and when I fell asleep, I was leaning over the armrest of a chair. I have looked it up and it is called "Saturday Night Palsy"

Customer:

At this time, it hurts REGARDLESS of what I am doing. In the past few days my fingers have been tingling.

Customer:

I have taken the anti-inflamatory &muscle relaxers and they do not even begin to touch the pain.

RealisticMD :

what have you taken

Customer:

I have also been to a chiropractor 4 times.

Customer:

hold on, I have the bottles right here.

RealisticMD :

how long is this going on

Customer:

Robaxin, 500 mg every 8 hrs;

Customer:

Naproxen,500mg every 12 hrs; ultram, 50mg 2 pills every 6 hrs; and Flexaril. I used it and have no more. They did not help either.

RealisticMD :

how long is it going on

Customer:

This has been going on for 4-5 weeks and I simply cannot take the pain anymore. However, I know that Dr.'s are thinking I am a drug seeker and they have to be careful.

RealisticMD :

I can understand your pain as i know that you can not expect prescription from this site and still you are concerned about the pain so your pain is genuine

RealisticMD :

I will tell you further steps for this problem

RealisticMD :

You have to try cervical collar which is the only non surgical modality that can help in this nerve related pain

RealisticMD :

Mean while to control pain you will need opioid pain killer along with anti inflammatory meds

RealisticMD :

I after 7-10 days there is no improvement with above then you will need MRI

RealisticMD :

of cervical spine

Customer:

what is opioid pain killer

RealisticMD :

to check for disc and nerver compression

RealisticMD :

Opioid is like Percocet or vicodin

RealisticMD :

these medications do have high potential for dependence but they are much strong pain killers

Customer:

Doctor, no offense, but I do not have a family physician. There is NO doctor that is going to take my word and prescribe a narcotic.. Would you? If so, tell me (please) advise as to "how?"

Customer:

What I mean is, on a first visit and say, "hey, I need a narcotic for my pain."

RealisticMD :

If you go to the same urgent care with a concerned family member they will understand better dont ask of opiods directly but show them the prescriptions and bottles you already used they will know what to prescribe.

Customer:

I didn't think that an Urgent Care facility would prescribe something that strong. It was at an UC facility that I got these other rx.

RealisticMD :

believe me or not doctors with year of practice do have instincts about real patients and durg seeking patients

RealisticMD :

they can prescirbe

Customer:

Ok, I cannot express my grattitude for your help. I have been hurting for so long and truly thought it was something I would have to live with. Again, thank you. I hope that you see yourself as fulfilling what God has designed you to do. This IS your calling. I hope that you realize this.

RealisticMD :

I personally really feel sorry about what you going through, I wish you good luck and God bless.

RealisticMD :

Thank you

Customer:

:)