Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

When I close my eyes, I seem to get dizzy, and when I open

Customer Question

When I close my eyes, I seem to get dizzy, and when I open them back up it takes a second to collect myself. Also, my hearing was a little weary. Throughout the day, I had a feeling of fainting, but when I checked my blood pressure, it was 134/80. (and I heard fainting is due to low BP) I'm a bit curious to know what this may be.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 5 years ago.

Hi, this is Dr Sathya. Thanks for your question and I am very glad to help you.

Yes you are right that the blood pressure changes (especially low blood pressure) are important causes for dizziness however there are many other conditions too that can cause dizziness.

The following is a list of the myriad causes for dizziness;

Dehydration

Medication side effect

BP (Blood pressure) changes (either low or high) - appears to be normal in your case

Anemia

Hypoglycemia (low blood glucose)

Heart dysfunction

Decreased blood flow to the brain

Autonomic nervous system dysfunction

Structural problems in the brain

Inner ear dysfunctions

Vasovagal presyncope

Stress induced etc

I am not telling that all these above conditions are applicable in your case; I am just providing a list based on what we see in our clinical practice.

And blood pressure being normal it is lees likely the culprit in you however ideally it should be measured in 3 different settings - in lying down, sitting and standing positions and this way BP fluctuations can be assessed thoroughly - and a condition called as orthostatic hypotension can be ruled out too. In this condition the BP drops when some one is in an upright position like sitting or standing and this causes dizziness.

You will now actually require a thorough evaluation in the clinic including a detailed physical/heart/neurological examination & BP checking in 3 positions, and after that you may also require certain relevant investigations to arrive at a precise diagnosis and once that is accomplished then it will be treated appropriately.

You may please discuss all these above points with your clinic-Drs for the further needful (as discussed above).

Please ask me if there are any further questions.

Thanks for the waiting!

All the best!

Best regards,

Dr Sathya.

If you have any additional questions, concerns or clarifications then please let me know. And if you are satisfied with my answer please accept it so that I will be credited for my expertise, time and effort put in preparing this answer.