DrBrain
DrBrain, Neurologist
Experience:  Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
18801144

Can a herniated disc in the neck cause your blood pressure

Can a herniated disc in the neck cause your blood pressure to go up if the disc is touching the spinal cord?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrBrain replied 4 years ago.

DrBrain : Hello welcome to just answer.
DrBrain : The pain from the herniated disc can cause your pressure to be high but not the disc itself that's pressing the spinal cord.
Customer:

I have had this disc issue for several months howeverthe bllod pressure problem is recent. So based on what you know what are the options?

DrBrain : If you have no further questions than please press the accept button. Thank you.
DrBrain : Have you tried steiod injections?
Customer:

No

DrBrain : How bad do you experience the pain from scale 1 to 10
Customer:

The disc pain was under control because of PT however I have tingling in my hands and feet sommetimes. Now the tingling is in my neck and I feel the pressure in my head from the elevated BP.

DrBrain : Well the tingling could be due compression of the nerve. You should see a neurosurgeon as by ordering MRI he can see the compression of the nerve and sometimes he may order EMG nerve conduction studies.
Customer:

OK!