Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have pain behind my eyes and I feel dizzy at times, I went

Customer Question

I have pain behind my eyes and I feel dizzy at times, I went to several doctors and they said I have sinisitus. I even passed a neurological test done in the office. I don't know if I have MS or not?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

Well, simply having pain behind your eyes and feeling dizzy is not a sign that you have MS.

Sometime people with MS develop pain in one eye -- which is called optic neuritis. But not typically pain behind both eyes.

Pain, sensation abnormalities, weaknes in the limbs or body are other common presenting symptoms.

You do not sound as if MS is a concern.

If the symptoms were concerning, then the next test would be a MRI of the brain.

But if you have been evaluated by several doctors and told you have sinusitis - then you probably have sinusitis.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doctor,

Well if I can explain a little bit. I was at work December 08(2011), I was sitting when I felt a loss of balance. I then began having the sweats. I didn't think anything of it, then a few days later I started having imbalance when I was sitting and walking. I could control myself it just felt like I was dizzy, then it returned to normal. But then I began having headaches and pain behind my eye with the imbalance. I saw an optomitrist and he said my eyes were normal. He did tests but I wonder if hes able to know if it's optic neuritis with those tests. It went away during the holiday season and returned 2 weeks later. So now I have the eye pain again with slight dizzyness. I just having been feeling fatigued and the symptoms point to MS but no doctor will send me to the neurologist because they say I don't have that and I passed a in-office neurological exam. 3 doctors have said it's Sinisitus but I haven't had a congested nose or runny nose and I saw an ENT and he said the nose was clear but it can be symptoms of Sinisitus. My only concern is that I've had the symptoms for 4 weeks now. It went away for a week but returned. I am taking corticosteroid inhalant at night. I would have figured at 4 weeks it would be gone now. Could it be because of stress as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No reason, would just like an answer now.
Expert:  DrBrain replied 2 years ago.
First of all in order to diagnose MS one would need MRI of the brain. All of the above symptoms can be caused due to various causes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Would like other thoughts.
Expert:  CaliforniaMD replied 2 years ago.
1- how many different thoughts would you like?

2- can you wait for Dr. Mark to come back online so that he finish his response since he already spent a fair amount of time with you? in all fairness, Dr. Mark gave you an excellent answer and i completely agree with him.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes Dr.Marks answer was sufficient but I needed to add a little detail in my response and he logged off. I will wait for his response.
excellent. looks like he's back online. i'm responding because you "requested" me and this will release this request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Could Dr.Mark reply to my second question?

The symptoms I have is:

- Pain behind the eye
- Slight Dizziness
- Headache
- Little Muscle Spasms
- Fatigue

This has lasted on and off for 4 weeks which is why I think the symptoms are from MS. What do you think based on your experience?

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.

First - sinusitis doesn't mean your nose is "clear". The sinuses are things that you can't see, the frontal, maxillary, ethmoid sinuses -- which empty out into the nasal passages, which is what you see. So simply looking into the nose itself will not tell you if you have had sinusitis or not.

While pain behind a single eye can be a presenting symptoms of MS, from your description of the timeline and symptoms don't quite fit.

But perhaps you can discuss this with your doctor, since you are going to worry about this potential diagnosis and see if they will order a MRI of the brain for you. That will help to evaluate for MS, and would also have the added benefit of seeing your sinuses as well, to look for sinusitis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the response Dr.Mark. I want to see a neurologist but the doctors I've seen told me that they wont send me because they see no signs and it's highly unlikely I have MS. I can only see a neurologist if they reffer me.

Also I am scheduled to see an Optomitrist soon. Is there anything I should mention to him? If he says I do not have Optic Neuritis does that rule out MS?

Thanks for your response.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

An optometrist can check the clarity of your vision, but they really are not trained to diagnose things like optic neuritis, though they certainly can tell you if that is a possibility.

Not having optic neuritis does not necessarily rule out MS. This is because people can present with any number of different symptoms.

And if your doctors don't want to send you to a neurologist, in their clinical judgement they feel your symptoms are not MS. Certainly, if your symptoms worsen, or become more like MS - a MRI of the brain should be ordered to evaluate this.

Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery